Daily Rehearsal: 'Music & Stories Live!' at Simone's
1. Oracle Productions has switched up their leadership; Ben Fuchsen is taking over as Executive Producer, and Max Truax will be the new Artistic Director from Outreach Director. They've also promoted Stephanie Polt to Company Manager, Amy Hopkins to Company Production Manager, and Sam Newport to Technical Director. Oracle is currently playing Hamlet directed by Benno Nelson.
2. Head to Simone's Bar in Pilsen tonight for Music & Stories Live!, hosted by Vocalo. It will feature music and spoken word performances, interviews with the performers by Luis and Shantell, plus an open mic for those not on the roster. The best of the evening will make it on the radio, a sure sign that you've made it big. Stick around afterwards for some DJing by Jimmy Conyack & Jesse De La Pena.
3. Two theater dudes weigh in (separately) on the role of social media; "In the past, producers and publicists had to concern themselves with crafting stories for professional journalists and preparing for traditional reviews, but in today's world, before the first review hits, public opinion can be persuaded by millions of tweets, Facebook posts and blogs," wrote Chad M. Bauman, Director of Communications at Arena Stage in D.C. "In some cases, by the time the impartial and professional critic walks through the doors of a theater, the verdict in the court of public opinion has already been rendered." His prediction: "Many more traditional critics will start tweeting immediate critical reactions so that their responses are competitive in the fast paced environment of social media." But Howard Sherman, former Executive Director of the American Theater Wing, says, "But what did I think of this show or that? Is my thumb up or down? Unless I’m enthusiastic and the show lesser known, I’ll remain silent or nibble around its edges only, as contrary as that is to my nature."
4. Head out to the Fox Valley Reperatory for Bad Dates,which claims, "If you like “Sex and the City” and Bridget Jones’ Diary, you’ll love this romantic one-woman comedy!" They've rated it PG-13, so bring your teenage daughter, but expect her to squirm. For a few laughs before you go, read their Bad Dates Blog Contest, where comments have written about some of their worst dates. There are a lot of them...
5. And Steppenwolf has announced their 2012 Garage Rep line-up; read Jonathan Abarbanel's take on it.
Questions? Tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.