Daily Rehearsal: the Goodman announces 'New Stages Amplified'
1. About Face's The Homosexuals has been extended through August 14, for an additional three weeks. Get 'em while they're hot.
2. The Goodman's big news of the week is that they're starting their 2011-12 season off with something called New Stages Amplified. Based off of their nine-year play festival New Stages, Amplified looks to be a paired down version of a full-fleshed out production, at least when it comes to the staging. The Goodman is also allowing access to the artists after the show, as well as "a complimentary glass of wine." WOAH. The first plays of what could well be a new long-running success are Dartmoor Prision, Chicago Boys and Ask Aunt Susan. Ask her what?
3. en route is getting lots of coverage this week, especially one Julie Davidson, a Chicago Shakespeare Theatre employee, who was photographed for this story and this one. Nice dress Julie! Could it be that a. She really likes this dress and the play b. These are the press photos c. Two reviewers went to the same performance.
4. So the lovely Ken Barnard is leaving us, but he'll celebrate it in style. The Penultimate Ken Barnard Experience is at the Lincoln Lodge at 9 pm. He'll be joined by fellow comedians Chad Briggs, Chris Condren and Michael Sanchez. Also feel free to read this interview about why he's leaving, which we covered weeks ago, but it's not a big deal who had the scoop first.
5. Get your exercise in, experience the outdoors, and watch some theater with Theatre Hikes' The Hobbit this weekend. "We follow Bilbo Baggins as he is tricked into going on an adventure with 13 dwarfs by Gandalf the Wizard." Was he tricked? Sort-of, I suppose. It's on the Morton Arboretum grounds; bring a water bottle, blanket or lawn chair, and meet behind the Thornhill Education Center. Also your Elvish.
Questions? Tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.