Hit It Or Quit It #17 - Kate Bush memories and Riot Grrrl history
It's HIOQI #17 and we're talking landmarks... - It's been 25 years since Kate Bush's monolith of weird pop amazingness, Hounds of Love, was released. Washington DC-based musician, engineer and producer Chad Clark breaks down its awesomeness. - Unless you were a fetus or living in a bubble in the early 1990s, you probably heard a thing or two about Riot Grrrl. Unfortunately, what you heard back then was probably wrong; Brooklyn, NY, author Sara Marcus joins us to talk about her just-released book, Girls To The Front, which provides the first comprehensive history of the movement. We've also got a listener quiz, Gossip Wolf, Twitter updates, and more!
This week's music:
- Marianna Ritchey, "Hit It Or Quit It"
- John Fahey, "Take A Look At That Baby"
- State of Alert, "Draw Blank"
- Bratmobile, "No You Don't"
- BIkini Kill, "Alien She"
- Slant 6, "What Kind Of Monster Are You?"
- Huggy Bear, "Her Jazz"
- Dntel, "This Is The Dream Of Evan And Chan (Safety Scissors Spilled My Drink Mix)"
- Welkin Dusk, "Entrapped"
- The UV Race, "Gore Orphanage"
- Kate Bush, "Hounds of Love"
- Kate Bush, "The Morning Fog"
- Kate Bush, "The Big Sky"
- Smart Went Crazy, "A Good Day"
- Kate Bush, "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) (Datasette Remix)"
Hit It Or Quit It is hosted by Jessica Hopper and JR Nelson, and produced by Michael Catano. You can stream past episodes at music.wbez.org or download them at the Chicago Public Media iTunes Store. You can follow us on Twitter, become our friends on Facebook, or drop us an email.