Morning Rehearsal: Chicago theater 6/10
1. The Vic & Paul Show has finally arrived, and Paul Barrosse and Victoria Zielinski did a lovely interview with the Reader, during which they explain why they were inspired to come back to the stage together after 20 years away.
"We were coming up on our 20th wedding anniversary last year and thought to ourselves, 'We should do a show again,'" said Barrosse. "So we set aside an hour just about every day for a couple months to meet and work and improvise. We started out by doing long improvisations in the kitchen, and every now and then our 14-year-old daughter would be saying, 'Is everybody OK down there?' Because there'd be some kind of shrieking going on." See it tonight through Sunday at Prop Theater.
2. Infamous Commonwealth Theatre's Fifth of July opens tomorrow night. Lanford Wilson's play is about Vietnam veterans in the summer of 1977, and is part of the Theatre's "Sacrifice" season. Wilson died in March, shortly after his Hot L Baltimore opened in previews at Steppenwolf.
3. Forget the actually bad flash mobs cropping up in Chicago this week -- the original intention of the word was all positive, connoting a largescale dance that just seemed to break out of nowhere. Just for Laughs will bring it back and present their own with New York's Improv Everywhere. "Participants are asked to download an mp3 (at bit.ly/io51ny) and bring their players to Millennium Park. Everyone presses play at 1:30 p.m., follows the recorded instructions and baffles onlookers," reports the Sun-Times.
4. Stage 773's two week performing arts festival opens on Monday, as part of their celebrations surrounding a new space. Called 14@Stage773, there are a variety of performances. Wait until the 23rd for perhaps the sultriest; Chicago Story Collective will be presenting Summer Lovin', which they describes as tales of "Sweat, Sex...and Romance."
5. It's graduation season, even at iO: be a part of history on Sunday nights and check out their graduation shows, and watch as the future Jerry Seinfeld wows you with...something that will hopefully get better with time.
Questions? Tips? Email email@example.com.