Morning Rehearsal: Chicago theater 5/11
1. Hopefully the hubbub surrounding the wonder that is The Madness of King George III has died down enough for Murder for Two--A Killer Musical to get some attention as well. It's Upstairs at the Shakespeare Theater, and opens tomorrow. As musicals tend to be, it's not all drama; the musical is a self-proclaimed "mix of Agatha Christie mystery, old-fashioned musical comedy and modern panache, this whodunit comes with a killer twist: one actor investigates the crime, the other plays all 13 suspects, and they both play the piano!"
2. Tonight, The Pub Theater Company presents Beotches, which was on hiatus last week, but is back at Fizz Bar & Grill. Beotches "celebrates the fact that people being D-bags seem to always win." I've read Us Weekly, so I'd have to agree.
3. Comedians You Should Know is at Timothy O'Toole's tonight at 9pm. The comedians this week are Mike Lebovitz, with Danny Kallas, Mike Stanley, Danny Solomon and C.J. Sullivan. Their debut, incredibly creatively titled album "Comedians You Should Know", came out in February, so if you like what you hear, you can commemorate that memory on CD, or for the more technologically saavy of you, mp3.
4. MPAACT's Solo Jams opens this weekend at the Greenhouse Center Theater. MPAACT produces what they call Afrikan Centered Theatre (ACT), and the opening event of this series includes a panel discussion tomorrow night with some of the cast members, including John Steven Crowley and Rain Wilson. The performances, held Friday and Saturday of every week until June 11, will all feature a solo show from a different cast member.
5. Chelsea Handler and her minions are at the Chicago Theater tonight at 8pm. The tour, called Lies Chelsea Handler Told Me, features Josh Wolf, Heather MacDonald and Brad Wollack, some of whom you might recognize from her new show After Lately. After Lately is a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Handler's late night show, Chelsea Lately. This isn't local comedy though, so a ticket is going to set you back 70 or 80 bucks.
Questions? Tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.