The state of cooking in much of the developing world continues to be cooking over an open fire.
As a result, a lot of what you might find in cigarette smoke ends up around the food. Biolite is seeking to change that.
Their stove concentrates heat and lowers the amount of wood needed to get a fire going.
In addition, the device is able to harness the wasted heat from the fire and convert it to electricity. This can be used to power fans near the fire and reduce particles and other traces of monoxide that appear in the air, while at the same time being able to use that electricity to power your phone or even your TV.
For more, click the audioplayer above to hear Jonathan Cedar, CEO of Biolite, in conversation with Marketplace Tech host Ben Johnson.