So long, ordinary hot dogs and pop. Hello, chicken and waffle taco and giant 24 oz. beers.
The crosstown rivalry between the South Side’s White Sox and the North Side’s Cubs is heading for your gut, as both teams prepare their home openers in the coming weeks.
Wrigley Field and (cough cough) Guaranteed Rate Field are offering expanded menus with “signature dishes” and drink specials.
Here’s a look at some of the new delicacies you can chow down at each ballpark with descriptions provided by the teams. And let us know which menu sounds better to you by tweeting us @wbez.
The Cubs’ home opener is slated for Monday, April 8.
- Pork tenders: crispy hand-breaded pork strips served with Japanese barbecue sauce and cabbage and carrot slaw.
- Beer can chicken sandwich: beer-marinated chicken breast served with Dijonnaise, shredded lettuce, tomato and bacon on a brioche bun.
- Wrigley house chips: ranch-seasoned chips made in-house, served with Buffalo ranch dipping sauce.
- Short rib disco fries: braised beef short rib, roasted garlic aioli, queso fresco and green onions atop crispy fries.
- Italian seasoned chicken sandwich: Italian-seasoned grilled chicken with controne pepper, pesto aioli, lettuce and vine ripe tomatoes, served on a split top bun.
- Grilled three-cheese sandwich: Gruyere, Butterkäse and cheddar cheese with tomato jam, served alongside house-made chips and a creamy pesto dip.
- Crispy pork sandwich: crispy breaded pork strips on a pretzel bun, topped with house-made pickles and onions, creamy Dijon, lettuce and vine ripe tomatoes.
- Impossible burger: plant-based meat alternative served with chipotle lime aioli, American cheese, lettuce and tomato on a brioche bun.
- Southwest fiesta specialty hot dog: Vienna Beef hot dog topped with chili lime crema, pico de gallo, tortilla strips and house-made pickled peppers.
- Walking taco: Fritos topped with chili con carne, nacho cheese, pico de gallo and pickled jalapeños.
- And perhaps the piece de resistance: a 24 oz. large domestic draft beer. There’s also a “souvenir Cubs carafe” for fans feeling fancy and wanting to drink wine.
Guaranteed Rate Field
The White Sox’s home opener is scheduled for Thursday, April 4.
- Boozy hot apple cider: a warm drink featuring Monin-spiced brown sugar syrup and Fireball Whiskey. For 21 and over only.
- Boozy hot chocolate: Jim Beam, Patron XO and Monin toasted marshmallow syrup. For 21 and over only.
- Buffalo chicken fries: French fries smothered with shredded chicken, hot Buffalo sauce, creamy ranch and crumbled bleu cheese.
- Dessert sweet potato fries: French fries smothered with powdered sugar, chopped pecans and whipped cream then drizzled with chocolate sauce and Nutella.
- Nashville hot chicken: breaded chicken breast is dunked in a house-made Nashville hot sauce then served with coleslaw and crisp pickles on a soft brioche bun.
- Backyard fire-roasted local sausage board: Assorted handcrafted sausages served with grilled sweet peppers, onions, assorted mustards and Giardiniera relish on hearth-baked hoagie rolls.
- Bacon popcorn: Freshly popped corn covered with sea salt, cracked pepper, grated parmesan cheese and crumbles.
- Chicago fries: Waffle fries topped with traditional “Chicago dog” condiments.
- Elote nuggets: A basket of corn fritters covered with a creamy cilantro lime aioli, queso cotija and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
- Fire-roasted brussel sprouts: These sprouts are served hot with bacon and shallots.
- Impossible Asian appetizer duo: Pan-fried pot stickers are up first with ginger, scallions, cabbage and sesame with soy chili dipping sauce. Batting second is the crispy spring roll, featuring Napa cabbage, green onions, ginger jalapeño marmalade and Chinese hot mustard sauce. Both items are made with a plant-based protein.
- Turkey and brie sandwich: Carved turkey served with brie, roasted pear and citrus mayo on a fresh roll.