Reset checks in with break beat poet Idris Goodwin about what he’s turning to for hope and healing in difficult times. Plus, he shares resources to help us all navigate this moment.
What to read
2. The Medici Effect by Frans Johansson
3. The BreakBeat Poets Vol 4: LatiNext edited by Felicia Rose Chavez, José Olivarez, and Willie Perdomo
What to watch
4. Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj Volume 6 (Netflix)
5. Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am (YouTube, Hulu, Amazon Prime and other streaming services)
6. 8:46 by Dave Chappelle (Netflix performance special on YouTube)
What to do
7. Demand justice for Breonna Taylor
8. Cook: Goodwin's simple salmon recipe
- Toss garlic, ginger, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a food processor, then smear it on a piece of salmon. Let it marinate for at least an hour in your fridge. Pre-heat your oven to 500.
- Put the salmon on a sheet pan and place the salmon on the bottom rack. Let it cook until the skin gets crispy,then move it to the top row. Put the broiler on Hi and let the top get brown.
- Remove and enjoy with wild rice and some kind of vegetable.
9. Make short films with child using toys and other household items
GUEST: Idris Goodwin, playwright, break beat poet and director of the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College